Mutton Rogan Josh
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 2hrs 30mins
Total Time: 2hrs 40mins
Serving Size: 5 people
500 gram / 1/2 kg Mutton / Lamb
2 tsp Lemon Juice
2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
Salt to taste
5 tbsp Ghee / Clarified Butter
2 Bay Leaf
3 cm stick Cinnamon
2 pods crushed Black Cardamom
4 pods crushed Green Cardamom
1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
1 cup Curd / Plain Yogurt
3 tbsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
1 tsp (powder 4 pods) Green Cardamom Powder
1/2 tsp (powder 2 pods) Black Cardamom Powder
1 tbsp Fennel Seed Powder / Saunf
1 tbsp Dry Ginger Powder
1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
1. Take mutton in a bowl. Add salt and lemon juice. Mix well, leave it to marinate overnight or 2 hours or you can cook it straight away.
2. Take curd in a bowl and whisk till it is smooth. Add in all the ingredients given for paste. Mix well and set aside.
3. Now heat ghee in a pot. Add in all the tempering ingredients and saute for a min.
4. Add in mutton few at a time and brown the meat. This will take around 2 to 3 mins per batch. As the mutton browns remove it to a plate and continue with the next batch. When you are browning the last batch, add all the browned mutton in and let it all heat through.
5. Now add in the curd mix and mix well. Let this cook and brown for 10 mins.
6. Add in water and mix well. Add more salt if needed. Now bring everything to a boil, cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours.
7. Once it is cooked and the meat falls off the bone, turn off the heat and serve with rice or roti.
Pressure Cooker Method:
Instead of cooking the whole thing in a pot for 2 hours, you can transfer the whole thing to a pressure cooker. Cook for 5 whistle, simmer the pot and cook for 15 mins. Turn off the heat and let the steam go all by itself. Open the cooker and mix well and serve.